22 September 2015

Alexander Wang.


So I should probably apologise for my extended absence over the past...few years? A myriad of things hindered my fervour for fashion week; endless essaying, reading, and perhaps most disturbingly, a rather noxious break-up. Yes, me and Photoshop parted ways after my old computer descended into self-destruct. But enough of the excuses, I'm back.

Which leads me to the first semi-positive utterings I've ever posted (of late) about Alexander Wang. If you are a new reader (where have you been? I know I've been gone but you really should have been revising in my absence!), then you won't yet have reached my prior anti-Wang diatribes, but I promise they were all substantiated.

It's nothing personal Mr Wang, I just wanted to love you so much and god knows I tried. But you let me down continually with your lacklustre tracksuits, below-par palette choices and mismatched styling. And let's be honest, you never really superseded the success of your first collection. So I stopped paying attention to the AW hype.

But being a stickler for alphabetism, I had to start my show reviews with 'A' and gave AW a peruse. I was uncharacteristically surprised. AW's fabric choices really transformed this collection from regular old RTW to something opulent and evoking grandeur. Alpaca furs, delicate silks and butter-soft leathers all gave the impression that this collection was one more sumptuous than AW's previous offerings. The silk tailored cigarette pants and the divine fur coats were a fine example of how AW's taste has matured and his skills honed. Dare I say I'm almost excited to see what he does with Balenciaga?

Of course, the silhouettes weren't entirely original in their execution; we've seen these boxy shoulder lines and drop waists a million times. But I couldn't end on a positive note, you know me...

No comments: