10 October 2011

Spring '12 beauty.





from top left; Valentino, Giambatista Valli, Stella McCartney, Rick Owens, Lanvin, Balmain.

I'm a bit of a make-up fiend. I secretly anticipate seeing the beauty looks first & foremost, before any of the collection. It's a bit of a confession, I'm aware, considering predominantly, this is a fashion blog. Perhaps it's because the beauty looks are less untouchable; easy to recreate, not totally out of grasp for lowly students like myself. & also, you have the beauty industry's grand masters at work behind the scenes, labouring quietly without enough recognition. In my opinion anyway. Pat MGrath, Francois Nars, Val Garland...I could continue. I love drooling over the visual feasts these amazing artists offer up on a bi-annual basis.

This season, it was mostly about the nude eye. Valentino and Giambatista Valli opted for a totally nude eye, with Valentino using nothing but skin-coloured kohl in the waterline. Stella & Rick Owens had a little brown shadow smudged into the outer corners, contour line and below the lash line to create the impression of a longer lash. Lanvin & Balmain both opted for either Cream Colour Bases or Paint Pots from MAC to give an understated glossy sheen to the eye. Either way, slicks of mascara were kept minimal or a clear coat was used & eyeliner was virtually prohibited.

I love a nude eye, especially when paired with a bold lip as was Rick Owens. But when the whole face is kept to a bare minimum, no make-up make-up, if you will, I find it a little expected. I mean sure, you want to mute the canvas so the clothes really make an impression, but the true art lies in creating something spectacular that creates awe but yet doesn't overshadow & Chanel's (aforementioned) shimmer eye was the perfect example.

No comments: