30 March 2010

Ahhh, the great clog debate. I've always been, even since childhood when there was a seemingly passing phase involving these wooden eyesores, absolutely anti-clog. I mean, there is not even one redeeming feature to these monsters. They are difficult to walk in, they are wooden and they conjure up the image of an old Spanish housewife who wears them while she sweeps the floor. But being older and perhaps a touch more tolerant of all things weird and wonderful relating to the strange mistress I like to call fashion, I approached the new influx of clogs with an open mind. Or partially, at least.
I mean if Lagerfeld thinks clogs are the footwear de jour then who am I to contest it? Wrong. I'm sorry Kaiser, but if you think encrusting them with jewels is going to make them more aesthetically pleasing, you are deeply misguided. Oh but it gets worse!
Miuccia's at it too! At least I understood the Kaiser's concept of rustic Spanish living for his whole collection. But dove printed clogs at Miu Miu? Oh dear. I now regard clogs as the 'crocs' of the fashion industry. Everybody wants them, despite their obvious ugliness. But unless you are a lithe model with legs that go on forever and a glowing bronze, I urge you to steer clear of these little monsters. I am disappointed, Alexa!

ETA: and as if you needed anymore evidence, The NY Times seems to agree. Point proven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nu-uh, I disagree!

For the past two-ish years the runways have been filled with devilishly scary footwear, all big and black and leather, with studs as optional. With S/S 10 being so light and airy, the clog is just the natural evolution of footwear - it's still chunky, it's still studded, it's just not as 'fierce.' Maybe the transition would have been a lil smoother if there'd been a show that offered a sort-of hybrid option. But regardless, I am very happy with the clog!

frankie. said...

ahh but becca, you have the legs to pull off the clog! model-y types can pretty much wear anything and make it look good. but do i agree, it seems like footwear is starting to ebb slowly backwards and becoming a little more, hmm, wearable and feminine. not decided whether this is a good move or not, i still like the whole 'femine power' look a la balenciaga and balmain.